How Do I Maintain My Carpet and Rugs
Oriental Carpets Need Quality Under Padding
- Place a quality pad under your Oriental carpet.
- Proper padding helps avoid unnecessary wear by minimizing movement and wrinkling.
- Your carpet will be safer to walk on and will last longer.
Be Aware of Humidity
- Protect your carpet’s foundation [especially cotton] from moisture. Humidity causes degradation to carpet fibers.
- Avoid liquid spills, leaks and water from potted plants.
- Use a [white] towel and blot the moist area.
- Pay attention to the back of the carpet and aerate to dry fully to avoid damage.
Vacuuming Oriental Carpets
- Vacuum without a rotating beater brush attachment.
- Vacuum areas that are covered under furniture. These areas accumulate dust.
- Take care not to fray fringes by vacuuming them lightly.
- Aerate and vacuum the back of the carpet once in a while.
- Avoid vacuuming too often. Where and how the carpet is used will determine how often to vacuum a carpet.
Keep the Dust Off
- Minimize the accumulation and settlement of dust, dirt, sand or grit.
- These components can reduce the life of a carpet because they act like sandpaper to wear down the fibers.
- It seems that carpets are damaged by insects more often when stored than when used.
- If you are planning to store your carpets for a longer period of time [over six months] we recommend you have them professionally cleaned, treated and properly wrapped.
- Certain insects such as moth, silver fish and carpet beetles like to feed on wool and cotton fibers in carpets.
- Some of the factors promoting infestations are dirt, dust and humidity in the carpet fibers. Also darkness and the absence of usage can cause concern.
Call Ottawa 613-232-5110 or Kemptville 613-258-5110
Call us in Ottawa!
Call us in Kemptville!